Colonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates within our Structural Department.
We are pleased to accept resumes for Pipe Welders. All shifts available below:
1st shift: Monday- Thursday 6:00AM- 4:30PM (4 10’s)
2nd shift: Monday-Thursday (into Friday morning) 4:30PM- 2:30AM (4 10’s)
Weekend shift: Friday-Sunday 6:00AM-6:30PM (3 12’s)
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
• Weld together metal components of products, as specified by layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding producers, or oral instructions, using electric arc-welding equipment
• Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or think scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter
• Weld completion in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions
• Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment o fuse metal segments, using processes such as gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc, flux-cored arc, plasma arc, shielded metal arc, resistance welding, and submerged arc welding
• Manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal
• Clean or degrease weld joint or work piece, using wire brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath. May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes
• Set up and operate welding equipment and select proper electrodes according to metals to be joined or as instructed
• Preform grinding and joint preparation for NDT processes
• Burning, washing, edge prepping using hand and automated equipment
• Flux cored inner shield and dual shield welding along with oxy-acetylene torching, air-arc, weld-wire gas, stick and pipe flange
• Construct or repair metal products by joining parts either manual (using a variety of welding methods including electric arc, MIG and TIG welding or oxy-acetylene welding) or by machine
• Read and understand the Chemist and Competent Persons reports and determine if job sites, particularly those involving combustible material, are safe for personnel and hot work
• Preforms grinding and joint preparation for NDT processes
• Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required
• Will be required to wear personal protective equipment – hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes and, when necessary, respirator
Proven previous experience in similar role as Pipe Welder. Must be able to demonstrate ability to perform multi-pass, all position fillet and butt welds using:
--SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding)
--GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding)
--FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding
Knowledge of welding techniques:
Knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the trade
Comprehend blueprints, sketches, and templates
Enter and move through manholes to reach and work in internally confined spaces
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Legal Services
• Annual performance evaluations
• On-site Human Resources
• On-site gym
• Free and close proximity parking
• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.