Colonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates within our Structural Welding Department.
We are pleased to accept resumes for Structural Welding Supervisor (Lead Mechanic).
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
• Assist in training helpers and lower skilled mechanics
• Perform safety inspections of equipment and accessories
• Perform visual inspections of welds and fit up
• Complete standard computations relating to dimensions and maintaining tolerances and minimizing distortions
• Weld together metal components of products, as specified by layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding procedures, or oral instructions, using electric arc-welding equipment
• Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter
• Weld completion in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions.
• Construct or repair metal products by joining parts either manually (using a variety of welding methods including electric arc, MIG and TIG welding or oxy-acetylene welding) or by machine
• Review welding operator qualifications
• Troubleshoot welding procedures for necessary equipment and consumables
• Introduce cost saving ideas
• Reduce costs in welding processes while contributing to increased productivity
• May perform experimental welding to evaluate new equipment, techniques, and materials
• Perform multi-pass, all position fillet and butt welds using SWAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding), GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding) processes
• Set up for shielded metal arc welding operations and base metal preparation on carbon steel
• Perform single pass fillet welds, V-groove welds, all positions, on carbon steel
• Perform Manual Arc, M.I.G., Fluxcore in all positions, Submerged Arc- Automatic, Semi- automatic, and Manual, Carbon Arc (Arc air) cutting weld
• Interpret welding symbol information
• Identify necessary external repairs to equipment and accessories
• Equipment set up and operation for Flux-cored, Shielded Metal Arc, Gas Tungsten Arc, and Air Carbon Arc welding operations
• Set up and maintenance on welding equipment such as: wire feeders, Sub-arc tractors, Bug O’s, Power sources
• Successful completion of mirror welding
• Must be able to demonstrate ability to perform multi-pass, all position fillet and butt welds using SWAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding), GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding), and FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding)
• Knowledge of welding techniques, (oxygen-acetylene, electric arc, and TIG), tools and equipment
• Hands on experiences and proven training on pre and post heating, Surface hardening, and Weld Inspections
• Advanced knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the trade
• Must be able to work effectively with others
• Comprehend blueprints, sketches, and templates.
• Hands on experience with heavy metal/steel welding procedures in all positions
• Minimum of 10 years of career experience in Welding
• Must be able to comprehend and follow instructions
• Must be able to multi-task and organize information and various assignments
• Tack weld in all metals
• Mirror welding experience
• Expertise in welding power sources, wire feeders, welding consumables
• Must have working knowledge of welding codes: AWS, ASME, MIL-STD, AISC, & ABS
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include:
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Legal Services
• Annual performance evaluations
• On-site Human Resources
• On-site gym
• Free and close proximity parking
• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.